No announcement yet.

1916 - The Official Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can find out a lot about the women of 1916. here.....

Sorry, it seems you were trying to access a page that doesn't exist. Please check the spelling of the URL you were trying to access and try again.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

• Originally posted by riposte View Post
      You can find out a lot about the women of 1916. here.....

http://www.richmondbarracks.ie/women-1916/
      There was a contributor to the program tonight - missed her name - but she appeared to be connected to the Richmond project. You'll probably know her if you check the podcast...
      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Im just reading the book....Children of the rising....by joe duffy...ive no idea who he is i believe hes some radio host? anyone read it

Comment

• Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
          Im just reading the book....Children of the rising....by joe duffy...ive no idea who he is i believe hes some radio host? anyone read it
          Sounds interesting Helen......

Comment

• it is katie...its just unreal to read the family situations...and to realize how much of dublin inner city was dependent on English army payouts and i was also surprised that the general joe soap in dublin didnt really approve of the rising...they tried to go about their business as usual and then the amount of looting that took place i think the soldiers of the rising seem to have as many if not more problems with the looters as they did with the british..one child who was killed was in around the city doing shopping for his mom....and a couple of the children went missing playing.....they i guess had no space in their one rooms to keep the kids in and safe.....its an amazing read and really lets you have a good vision of the times and how things were.....im sorta half way into it....its a hardback book and very heavy and i do most of my reading i bed lol... more comments when im done....

Comment

it is katie...its just unreal to read the family situations...and to realize how much of dublin inner city was dependent on English army payouts and i was also surprised that the general joe soap in dublin didnt really approve of the rising...they tried to go about their business as usual and then the amount of looting that took place i think the soldiers of the rising seem to have as many if not more problems with the looters as they did with the british..one child who was killed was in around the city doing shopping for his mom....and a couple of the children went missing playing.....they i guess had no space in their one rooms to keep the kids in and safe.....its an amazing read and really lets you have a good vision of the times and how things were.....im sorta half way into it....its a hardback book and very heavy and i do most of my reading i bed lol... more comments when im done....
              It sounds really good. I may have to buy it! I'd imagine that like me, most people on here would have had grandparents (or even parents) who lived through the Rising (my grandmother lived with her family on Bolton Street at the time) but most accounts I have read of it seem to come from the middle classes; apart from the Citizens Army, the combatants - the Irish Volunteers, Cumann na mBan, poets and Gaelic Leaguers- are all middle-class/intellectual types......it's difficult to get a real feeling of what it was like for the ordinary man/woman in the street.

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                It sounds really good. I may have to buy it! I'd imagine that like me, most people on here would have had grandparents (or even parents) who lived through the Rising (my grandmother lived with her family on Bolton Street at the time) but most accounts I have read of it seem to come from the middle classes; apart from the Citizens Army, the combatants - the Irish Volunteers, Cumann na mBan, poets and Gaelic Leaguers- are all middle-class/intellectual types......it's difficult to get a real feeling of what it was like for the ordinary man/woman in the street.
                My grandfather was in Bolands when it was taken over......I doubt that my five year old father would have listened to the story his dad had to tell when he got home......I suppose living a few yards from Dublin castle my Granny would have been concerned......My uncle John was about seventeen at the time but I never had a chance to speak to Him as he went to America....
                Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
                  My grandfather was in Bolands when it was taken over......I doubt that my five year old father would have listened to the story his dad had to tell when he got home......I suppose living a few yards from Dublin castle my Granny would have been concerned......My uncle John was about seventeen at the time but I never had a chance to speak to Him as he went to America....
                  It's such a shame we'll never know what these ordinary people were thinking at that time.........if Facebook had been around then it'd have been a different story!!

Comment

It's such a shame we'll never know what these ordinary people were thinking at that time.........if Facebook had been around then it'd have been a different story!!
                    Yes, would be interesting to know what they had for breakfast.....And how many likes......

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
                      Yes, would be interesting to know what they had for breakfast.....And how many likes......
                      I'd certainly like to know what they had for breakfast!

Comment

I'd certainly like to know what they had for breakfast!
                        A typical Irish breakfast....I got a bit of bread and butter......somebody else got Porridge toast and jam.......

I am sure it was the same in 1916.....

Comment

• After much deliberation, I've decided to come to Dublin for the Centenary Year. Not coming for Easter, instead I'm coming on Saturday 23rd April. Going to the Abbey for the last performance of "The Plough and the Stars", then on 24th April- the "real" centenary- I think Sinn Fein have something planned at the Post Office - Riposte might like to confirm......

Comment

• many of the kids in this book lost their lives just scrouging out food....no fridges not much money...people bought their food when they needed it and rebellion or not they had to eat..

Comment

many of the kids in this book lost their lives just scrouging out food....no fridges not much money...people bought their food when they needed it and rebellion or not they had to eat..
                              When they had money......Men who did casual labour, and there were many were not paid until they finished their shifts...that would be when shopping for food was done......

Comment

• I think most of us only tea, and bread and butter for breakfast, at least in the 40s 50s

Comment

Working...
                                X