Be interesting to see ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be interesting to see ....

If this decision is overturned .... Google refused permission for new Dublin data centre (rte.ie)​ .

As it stands , there are 82 operational at the moment , which uses 21% of all electricity ...... another 14 under construction and planning approved for another 40 , if they all proceed they'll be using almost 35% of the national grid ........... 136 sites using that amount of the national grid ? , something amiss there me thinks .
    Last edited by Twobob; 27-08-2024, 02:45 PM.

only 50 jobs when it is operational, I think houses and apartments are needed more how many data centres do we need?

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
      only 50 jobs when it is operational, I think houses and apartments are needed more how many data centres do we need?
      It's a more of what THEY need .
      Last edited by Twobob; 27-08-2024, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Ireland is one of the most economical locations for data centres because of the temperate climate. The temperature has to be maintained at about 18 to 28 degrees so it doesn’t cost as much in air con or heating.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo View Post
          Ireland is one of the most economical locations for data centres because of the temperate climate. The temperature has to be maintained at about 18 to 28 degrees so it doesn’t cost as much in air con or heating.
          That's the pros for them , but the fact that such few buildings could use up that amount of the grid has to be a negative ............ somewhere along the line .

Comment

True for ya Twobob

Comment

We are getting a smart meter installed on Friday .

Comment

Originally posted by DP Kilfo View Post
                We are getting a smart meter installed on Friday .
                Electricity?

Comment

Electricity?
                  Yes , read up a little bit today can't help thinking beware of Greeks bearing gifts ,but going with the flow this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by DP Kilfo View Post

Yes , read up a little bit today can't help thinking beware of Greeks bearing gifts ,but going with the flow this time around.
                    You're as bad as me , lol ........... a while back I was being nudged [ as such ] to have 1 put in , rang the Regulator to check was it mandatory to have one , " not yet " , so I rang back [ sorry , can't remember exactly who it was ] and told them no , and they asked did I want to be taken off the list for the installation .

Lady next door was told it's free to have it done at that time , but she would be charged later if she declined .

Just a gut feeling with me to steer clear of them ................ I could be way off the mark , but I'll stick with me gut , lol .

Comment

AFIK having a smart meter installed doesn't compel you to use one of the smart plans it just means you have the option to avail of one if you choose to.
                      We had one installed a few years ago & are still billed in the usual way.
                      I think it allows them to remotely read the meter.

Comment

I have one for a while now, it was annoying at first as it was just showing whole units, but love it since I have an account to see breakdown of use. https://esbnetworks.ie
                        Would be great if they gave me a gas one also, that meter is under the stairs and low down at the back wall. difficult for me to read and they do not trust me with the reading, keep telling me it is years since they read it themselves.

Comment

I have one for a while now, it was annoying at first as it was just showing whole units, but love it since I have an account to see breakdown of use. https://esbnetworks.ie
                          Would be great if they gave me a gas one also, that meter is under the stairs and low down at the back wall. difficult for me to read and they do not trust me with the reading, keep telling me it is years since they read it themselves.
                          Morning Bigby , You've hit the nail on the head regards my skepticism of the smart meter that they don't trust you , I don't trust them .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post

Morning Bigby , You've hit the nail on the head regards my skepticism of the smart meter that they don't trust you , I don't trust them .
                            I do not trust anyone in business but I will fight my corner very well, EIR know that very well by now

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post

The calibrating of the meter's would be my distrust .

Comment

Working...
                              X