A good idea,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good idea,,,

I believe that as part of their job the ;local Postmen in France check up on people who live alone or are vulnerable to check if they are ok while doing their rounds.....
    Last edited by quinner; 19-03-2024, 10:56 AM.
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

I use to post Irelands Own magazine to an old gentleman in wexford just for that very reason he would look forward to the postman, not sure about the Irelands Own.

Comment

Originally posted by DP Kilfo View Post
      I use to post Irelands Own magazine to an old gentleman in wexford just for that very reason he would look forward to the postman, not sure about the Irelands Own.
      Great stuff ...He was pleased to see you then....Maybe he referred to you as ''irelands own'' A great old phrase...

Comment

I think a lot of the rural postmen here do that.

Comment

That was a nice touch, we underestimate how lonely people can be. The rural postmen ( or women) are brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post

That was a nice touch, we underestimate how lonely people can be. The rural postmen ( or women) are brilliant.
            Yes they certainly are....My son in law is a rural Postman and he always knocks..But I don't think there are a lot do that in the Urban areas....People tend to assume that because there are neighbours they will be alright...

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
              I believe that as part of their job the ;local Postmen in France check up on people who live alone or are vulnerable to check if they are ok while doing their rounds.....
              It's a paid service, aimed at people who have elderly family living in rural France. The postie will even deliver groceries and medicines. Makes sense and helps keep rural postal services open.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post

As far as I know a community bus collects older people now and bring them in to Gorey for shopping and pension on Thursday mornings,sadly my old friend passed 2018 aged 92 good age unless your 91.

Comment

I’m afraid neighbours aren’t what they were in my youth & younger days growing up in
                  Dublin where they all looked out for each other.

In the small Cul de Sac where I live we have, Moldovans, Phillipinos, Bulgarians, Latvians, Indians, Peruvians & 2 Polish families.
                  There are 2 single career girls in the houses either side of us who are almost never there.
                  The young Polish couple living in the house opposite us are brilliant & seem to have adopted us as they are always looking out for us.
                  She calls over every day to see if we are Ok or if we need anything.
                  She calls us her Irish mammy daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post

It's a paid service, aimed at people who have elderly family living in rural France. The postie will even deliver groceries and medicines. Makes sense and helps keep rural postal services open.
                    Yes I am aware of that, but thanks anyway...
                    Local Post offices here are usually groceries, dry cleaning, bank facilities and everything else you can think of...I am thinking more of what my son in law does...Becomes a friend, he even gives them my daughters phone number as she is more likely available..But the most important part is the daily knock on the door and the voice reply...

Comment

Originally posted by ob1kenobi.23 View Post
                      I’m afraid neighbours aren’t what they were in my youth & younger days growing up in
                      Dublin where they all looked out for each other.

In the small Cul de Sac where I live we have, Moldovans, Phillipinos, Bulgarians, Latvians, Indians, Peruvians & 2 Polish families.
                      There are 2 single career girls in the houses either side of us who are almost never there.
                      The young Polish couple living in the house opposite us are brilliant & seem to have adopted us as they are always looking out for us.
                      She calls over every day to see if we are Ok or if we need anything.
                      She calls us her Irish mammy daddy.
                      Sadly ob people people like that are very thin on the ground. The result of people getting richer as the world progresses...

Comment

That is so true Quinner. Years ago nobody was well off everybody was more or less in the same boat and there was a very strong community bond. I remember when somebody died, the evening the funeral went to the church, neighbours would bake apple tarts, soda bread etc and come into the house and get a tea and sandwiches ready for the group coming back from the church. There was also a black boat that appeared from somewhere for the widow etc as people could not afford to go out and buy a coat. But as things improved for people, they slowly but surely became more selfish and apart from a few decent souls that bond is gone. I have a neighbour here who has the keys to the house, she comes in any time it is snowing to see if I need anything, she is very decent and was raised the old way. Her mother comes up once a week from Tipp and stays the night, so I told her she could park in my driveway. She calls to see me and gives me a little pressie at Christmas. I discovered in conversation with her that her father and my cousin played in a band together years ago. My cousin played the sax and finally gave it up and became a Florist in Tipp - small world

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                          That is so true Quinner. Years ago nobody was well off everybody was more or less in the same boat and there was a very strong community bond. I remember when somebody died, the evening the funeral went to the church, neighbours would bake apple tarts, soda bread etc and come into the house and get a tea and sandwiches ready for the group coming back from the church. There was also a black boat that appeared from somewhere for the widow etc as people could not afford to go out and buy a coat. But as things improved for people, they slowly but surely became more selfish and apart from a few decent souls that bond is gone. I have a neighbour here who has the keys to the house, she comes in any time it is snowing to see if I need anything, she is very decent and was raised the old way. Her mother comes up once a week from Tipp and stays the night, so I told her she could park in my driveway. She calls to see me and gives me a little pressie at Christmas. I discovered in conversation with her that her father and my cousin played in a band together years ago. My cousin played the sax and finally gave it up and became a Florist in Tipp - small world
                          Great story vico......I often wonder what will our grandchilden's children have to offer to this earth.....When I was growing up there was a confidence about the future. There was talk about the Bombs'' and how they could destroy the earth, but we somehow felt that people would not be stupid enough to use them..I am not sure about that now as the world is not run by ''normal people'' It is rum by big corporations that do not feel compassion in the race to get super rich...Well, you can't eat billions. What I do hear is that it takes a lot of money to prevent or reverse Climate change, and those that have that money are doing their utmost not to contribute anything towards the future by paying less and less taxes....I feel sorry for those people.

Comment

Just back from a 6th class school end of year talent show my granddaughter was part of the choir ,you could see confidence and not so confident but all great kids. who was it that wrote. " I believe children are the future teach them well and let them lead the way "

Comment

Just back from a 6th class school end of year talent show my granddaughter was part of the choir ,you could see confidence and not so confident but all great kids. who was it that wrote. " I believe children are the future teach them well and let them lead the way "
                              Great day out DP.....Yes they are the future....Sadly trillions of the tax evaders money is sat doing nothing to help their future....

Comment

Working...
                              X