X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Martinb View Post
    Noel

Thanks for that info on the police station that was on Chancery lane.

From the street directory in 1842 it lists the station as number 24 chancery lane on the 1862 directory it's listed as number 30 chancery lane, so you would assume that would put the building /buildings around where the pictures below were taken?, because the street directory shows the numbers in chancery start at # 1 , at the bride street end of chancery and works it's way to golden lane end of chancery and it ends at # 35 chancery lane.

After seeing Noels map that shows the cop shop was just below a Clarke court, I found this from a book online and it mentions the following

"The Dublin Metropolitan Police, it seems,found accommodation for some of the earliest arrivals next to the police station in Chancery Lane off Bride Street, about halfway between Dublin Castle and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. They lived ‘in a little square wherein stood the police station, Chancery Lane, joining the other foreigners — Italian organ-grinders, bear-leaders, one-man-band operators, and makers of small, cheap plaster casts of the saints of the Catholic
    church’. Originally a small but elegant street of three- and four-storey buildings, by the 1870s Chancery Lane was in a state of dilapidation"

I wonder if the little square mentioned is clarkes court? derby square would have been a little too far up to be part of chancery.

This is just one of those things that's bugging me a lot.

Noel I see what you mean by saying the cop shop was chancery lane...ISH.

I wonder if there was a lane way at 24 or 30 chancery that led to the cop shop on Noels map,because it's a bit out of the way to be either 24 or 30 chancery lane

The cop shop was deffo there in the 1920's as the only left it in 1927 to merge with Kevin Street.
    Same here Mart, the detail is a killer sometimes.....and there's always a way out....it's just finding the info lol.....I'll have another look at another route and see if I can get you a more positive location on it.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Same here Mart, the detail is a killer sometimes.....and there's always a way out....it's just finding the info lol.....I'll have another look at another route and see if I can get you a more positive location on it.
      as I said some time ago....I heard it being mentioned a few times....

but, more as ''the local cop shop''......
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Noel

Thanks for that info on the police station that was on Chancery lane.

From the street directory in 1842 it lists the station as number 24 chancery lane on the 1862 directory it's listed as number 30 chancery lane, so you would assume that would put the building /buildings around where the pictures below were taken?, because the street directory shows the numbers in chancery start at # 1 , at the bride street end of chancery and works it's way to golden lane end of chancery and it ends at # 35 chancery lane.

After seeing Noels map that shows the cop shop was just below a Clarke court, I found this from a book online and it mentions the following

"The Dublin Metropolitan Police, it seems,found accommodation for some of the earliest arrivals next to the police station in Chancery Lane off Bride Street, about halfway between Dublin Castle and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. They lived ‘in a little square wherein stood the police station, Chancery Lane, joining the other foreigners — Italian organ-grinders, bear-leaders, one-man-band operators, and makers of small, cheap plaster casts of the saints of the Catholic
        church’. Originally a small but elegant street of three- and four-storey buildings, by the 1870s Chancery Lane was in a state of dilapidation"

I wonder if the little square mentioned is clarkes court? derby square would have been a little too far up to be part of chancery.

This is just one of those things that's bugging me a lot.

Noel I see what you mean by saying the cop shop was chancery lane...ISH.

I wonder if there was a lane way at 24 or 30 chancery that led to the cop shop on Noels map,because it's a bit out of the way to be either 24 or 30 chancery lane

The cop shop was deffo there in the 1920's as the only left it in 1927 to merge with Kevin Street.
        Yeah Marty, it looks like there is / was a narrow laneway in the corner of Chancery.....that said the map shows what looks like a bigger laneway entrance from Gt Ship Street to Clarke's Court and the Cop Shop....so it looks like two ways to get in and on account of the Chancery Lane it gets to be mentioned as Chancery Lane Cop Station ?. I'll keep lookin for any more on me travels.

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
          as I said some time ago....I heard it being mentioned a few times....but, more as ''the local cop shop''......
          Deffo, in behind Chancery, down a lane according to the map.

Comment

Yeah Marty, it looks like there is / was a narrow laneway in the corner of Chancery.....that said the map shows what looks like a bigger laneway entrance from Gt Ship Street to Clarke's Court and the Cop Shop....so it looks like two ways to get in and on account of the Chancery Lane it gets to be mentioned as Chancery Lane Cop Station ?. I'll keep lookin for any more on me travels.

is the map at the turn of the century......

then it may have been moved after it became ''the gardai''.....

all the buildings were levelled when Dockrells were there along the lane....

where the church, cop shop are shown on the map......was used by Dockrells steel fabrication works....they made lots of things including tankers on the back of lorries......that Dockrells used the entrance in great ship street.....though you could see the work going on over a little wall from the woodyard...

Comment

where the church, cop shop are shown on the map......was used by Dockrells steel fabrication works....they made lots of things including tankers on the back of lorries......that Dockrells used the entrance in great ship street.....though you could see the work going on over a little wall from the woodyard...
              not sure of the map date J but good poss turn of. I think with all the info we have now, we've nailed it as the only possible cop shop in that area.....it's the one.

Comment

not sure of the map date J but good poss turn of. I think with all the info we have now, we've nailed it as the only possible cop shop in that area.....it's the one.

the area had a mass makeover from the end of the 19th century......

the ross road....
                Nicholas street.....
                bride road....
                patricks park.....
                chancery lane...

and many more high population density lanes courts etc....

the need for the cop shop would have diminished....

Comment

In addition to the one above
                  Hi martinb
                  If you look at the houses on the right just before the houses in the corner, there is what looks like an arch. I have a drawing from a street directory that shows a double gateway with an arch and a lamp in the centre, might be the entrance to the police station. Will find it and post tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridge View Post
                    Hi martinb
                    If you look at the houses on the right just before the houses in the corner, there is what looks like an arch. I have a drawing from a street directory that shows a double gateway with an arch and a lamp in the centre, might be the entrance to the police station. Will find it and post tomorrow.
                    Looks like yer right there B...as this pic shows theres no lane in the corner as I thought there might be.
                    Attached Files

Comment

comparing the building in the distance and the willy woods building i posted , it could be what you are looking for
                      Thanks Martin that looks more like it, will take a better look at it tomorrow.

Comment

• Photo from National Library Archive with caption 'Army Patrol in an unknown Dublin Street 1922'. Anyone hazard a guess what area the street was in?

Attached Files

Comment

Joe /Noel/bridge

Thanks for the help and info on nailing this one down.
                          Bridge - that drawing would nail it down if you can dig it out.

Here's the thing, I've been told by 2 fellas in my local boozer that they remember a cop shop , they didn't say it was in use just that they remember one- I wonder if it was the leftover building from the one on Noel's map, as I said it was in use up until 1927. Bridges photo might clear it up.

Thanks all

Comment

the area had a mass makeover from the end of the 19th century......

the ross road....
                            Nicholas street.....
                            bride road....
                            patricks park.....
                            chancery lane...

and many more high population density lanes courts etc....

the need for the cop shop would have diminished....
                            It was in use in the 1920's Joe

Comment

• Originally posted by pegasus View Post
                              Photo from National Library Archive with caption 'Army Patrol in an unknown Dublin Street 1922'. Anyone hazard a guess what area the street was in?

http://www.dublinforum.net/forum/att...1&d=1405174583
                              looks more outside of Dublin - don't recognise the scene at all

Comment

Joe /Noel/bridge

Thanks for the help and info on nailing this one down.
                                Bridge - that drawing would nail it down if you can dig it out.

Here's the thing, I've been told by 2 fellas in my local boozer that they remember a cop shop , they didn't say it was in use just that they remember one- I wonder if it was the leftover building from the one on Noel's map, as I said it was in use up until 1927. Bridges photo might clear it up.

Thanks all
                                Hi Martinb
                                as i said its a drawing - its from Thoms Directory 1850

the 1st one is the drawing from the directory, the 2nd is a cut out, I tried to enlarge it because the writing is so fuzzy, but had no luck but you can see the words police station (i'm sure) hope it helps
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by bridge; 12-07-2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X