X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea when that funeral took place from The Mansion House? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by swapshop View Post
      Any idea when that funeral took place from The Mansion House? Thanks.
      Kevin O'Higgins........His remains were removed from his residence, Dunamase House, Booterstown, to the Mansion House, Dublin, where thousands filed past the coffin.
      Attached Files
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
        Second thoughts I think yer spot on, I had the pic showing the waiter / barman right nuff, see if I can find it.
        STOCIOUS as usual.
        Judging by the taxi, the photo was taken in england.
        Bet they were impressed.
        Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Comment

• Originally posted by nansson View Post
          Lucien Freud and friend
          Brilliant pic Nansson, poor aul Brendan the gargle was not his friend!

Comment

• Originally posted by maire View Post
            Brilliant pic Nansson, poor aul Brendan the gargle was not his friend!
            No Maire.....I spoke to him once....I was about 8 at the time and he was hanging out of a pole on O'Connell Bridge....as myself and my mother approached him, he started addressing me in a childish voice and I answered...I wish I could remember what he said...my mother told me later who he was

Comment

• That's. Great story Nansson, he was probably telling you to stay off the gargle, lol. Sad it killed him in the end, and so young too. I love his book " the Borstal Boy" it makes me laugh out loud, no matter how often I read it, a brilliant man indeed!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkface View Post
                Judging by the taxi, the photo was taken in england.
                Bet they were impressed.
                He was good at making impressions lol.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by nansson View Post
                  No Maire.....I spoke to him once....I was about 8 at the time and he was hanging out of a pole on O'Connell Bridge....as myself and my mother approached him, he started addressing me in a childish voice and I answered...I wish I could remember what he said...my mother told me later who he was
                  I was maybe 10 years old when I saw him in full flight in Phil Reillys pub opposite the royal.
                  My late dad drove for GNR bus company, and during the break which was may 3 hours, he would pop into phil reilly's for a pint. Not an uncommon practice in the 1950's.
                  Any it was payday and I was sent in to meet my dad + bring home the wages.
                  I went into Reilly's and there was a very drunk Brendan holding court.
                  From what I recall, he was being ignored by most of the customers, my dad ushered me out of the pub and when I asked who that man is, he simply said, thats the famous Brendan Behan, and he's very drunk, poor man.
                  Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Comment

• As a young waiter I had the misfortune to watch Behan hold court during a lunch in the restaurant of the long since closed Hotel Russell on the Green in 1961. It was a nightmare but I was spellbound by his performance. He talked and talked and whilst he devotees listened and the drank just flowed and flowed.

After a very wet lunch he and his entourage moved to the lounge bar where he continued his rollicking until the staff could no longer put up with his behaviour and eventually asked him politely, at about 6.30pm, to leave.

Needless to say he did not leave without protest and called us all the names under the sun and addressing the French restaurant manager as no manager, French or otherwise, should be addressed.

After he spat at and threatened the manager and staff with violence, he was picked up and carried to the footpath where he continued to shout and scream using some of the best curse words I have had the misfortune to hear.

He was a great wordsmith indeed.

As far as I am aware he was barred and refused entry to the hotel on a later occasion.

At the time of the incident I knew little of Behan but I have never forgotten his performance.

I cannot remember who picked up the tab but I know it was not Behan.

A once in a lifetime experience.

Comment

• Great stories lads

Comment

• The Shelbourne Hotel was founded in 1824 by Tipperary man Martin Burke, when he acquired three adjoining townhouses overlooking Dublin's St Stephen's Green - Europe's largest garden square. Burke named his grand new hotel The Shelbourne, after William Petty, 2nd Earl of Shelburne.

In the early 1900s, Alois Hitler, Jr, the half brother of Adolf Hitler, worked in the hotel while in Dublin.

In 1922, the Irish Constitution was drafted in room 112, now known as The Constitution Room.[1]

Comment

• Originally posted by narcissus View Post
                          As a young waiter I had the misfortune to watch Behan hold court during a lunch in the restaurant of the long since closed Hotel Russell on the Green in 1961. It was a nightmare but I was spellbound by his performance. He talked and talked and whilst he devotees listened and the drank just flowed and flowed.

After a very wet lunch he and his entourage moved to the lounge bar where he continued his rollicking until the staff could no longer put up with his behaviour and eventually asked him politely, at about 6.30pm, to leave.

Needless to say he did not leave without protest and called us all the names under the sun and addressing the French restaurant manager as no manager, French or otherwise, should be addressed.

After he spat at and threatened the manager and staff with violence, he was picked up and carried to the footpath where he continued to shout and scream using some of the best curse words I have had the misfortune to hear.

He was a great wordsmith indeed.

As far as I am aware he was barred and refused entry to the hotel on a later occasion.

At the time of the incident I knew little of Behan but I have never forgotten his performance.

I cannot remember who picked up the tab but I know it was not Behan.

A once in a lifetime experience.
                          What a story narcissus, sure he was an alcoholic, a terrible illnes really, the poor fellow!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkface View Post
                            I was maybe 10 years old when I saw him in full flight in Phil Reillys pub opposite the royal.
                            My late dad drove for GNR bus company, and during the break which was may 3 hours, he would pop into phil reilly's for a pint. Not an uncommon practice in the 1950's.
                            Any it was payday and I was sent in to meet my dad + bring home the wages.
                            I went into Reilly's and there was a very drunk Brendan holding court.
                            From what I recall, he was being ignored by most of the customers, my dad ushered me out of the pub and when I asked who that man is, he simply said, thats the famous Brendan Behan, and he's very drunk, poor man.
                            How times have changed.I don't think you would see a bus driver going for a pint during his break these days.I suppose it was quite normal back then.

As a young man I saw Brendan Behan in South Great Georges Street having a row with his wife and throwing his jacket on the road.He was shouting and

screaming and he was eventually taken away by the police.I did'nt know who he was until later.Some time after that I read he was very ill in The Meath Hospital

having collapsed in The Harbour Lights Bar. Sadly he died a short time later. Brendan Behan was a very sad troubled man.He was just 41 years of age
                            Last edited by camden; 07-05-2013, 01:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by camden View Post
                              How times have changed.I don't think you would see a bus driver going for a pint during his break these days.I suppose it was quite normal back then.

As a young man I saw Brendan Behan in South Great Georges Street having a row with his wife and throwing his jacket on the road.He was shouting and

screaming and he was eventually taken away by the police.I did'nt know who he was until later.Some time after that I read he was very ill in The Meath Hospital

having collapsed in The Harbour Lights Bar. Sadly he died a short time later. Brendan Behan was a very sad troubled man.He was just 41 years of age
                              A previous one from R5....Brendan's last trip.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                                A previous one from R5....Brendan's last trip.
                                Well he got a good send off,,,I would have gotten the last trip in a Wheelie Bin,,care of Dublin Corporation
                                I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Working...
                                X