No announcement yet.

camden street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for that Camden. My memory is not as good as yours. I must visit the Jewish Museum, we had a lot of Jewish neighbours. There was a shop at the top of Camden street called Lindy's, next to Brady's chemists, they had a big sign in the window, 'We buy gold' . They were a Jewish family and some of them lived in Emor Street. The shop closed eventually and the older sons emigrated to the US. I remember a shop called 'Payandtake' on the corner of Grantham Street, it was a grocery and the name stayed in my mind. It was opposite Caulfields pub which a lot of people seem to think was always called Cassidy's.I was in Camden street recently and the only shop remaining from my childhood is Lynch's.

Comment

• I do remember that shop but I always thought it was called Lindsay's so my memory also let's me down too.I knew Larry Caulfield very well as we were

very good friends back then.That pub had a number of large glass cases packed with curios and very unusual objects collected by Larry's mother I think.

Every time I see The Dave Clark Five it reminds me of seeing them on T.V. in the pub when we were kids.We played in their back garden which backed onto The

High School in Harcourt Street.That's now Garda Headquarters.They bottled Stout in the back of the pub.We used to cork the bottles for Denny the cellar man.

You know I can recall almost every single shop in Camden Street from Charlotte Street right down to Wexford Street on that side of the street. Don't think my

memory is that good on the other side.I must sit down some day soon when I have some free time and do just that to see if my memory really is that good.
      Last edited by camden; 09-05-2012, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• Camden, do you know what the pubs on that side of Camden St were called, in the interval 1975-2000. I remember places like the Sword, Conn's pub, etc but don't know what they are called nowadays (I was away for over 20 years).
        Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
          Camden, do you know what the pubs on that side of Camden St were called, in the interval 1975-2000. I remember places like the Sword, Conn's pub, etc but don't know what they are called nowadays (I was away for over 20 years).
          The Pubs as I remember them on Camden Street were The Bleeding Horse for a time called The Falcon Inn. Don't quite know why they would ever want to

change that name.Then Larry Caulfield's became Cassidy's and as you said a lot of people think it's always be that name.Further along that side Meaghar's was

sold around 1965.I'm not sure what the new name was.It may have been called The Sword.That Pub is now called Anseo and from what I gather very trendy.

On the next block opposite the De-Luxe was a Pub called McDermott's which is now called Flannery's again a trendy Pub.Across the street on the corner of

Camden Row is Ryan's and at the other end of that block was Ahern's it's now called Devitt's. I have to say the only Pub in Camden Street I've ever been to

have a drink in is The Bleeding Horse.I'd been in Caulfields with Larry as a young kid.Living in the area I would have been too young and not allowed into a Pub.
          Last edited by camden; 09-05-2012, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• You struck a chord with me when you mentioned the Sword, I know I drank there at one time but I can't for the life of me remember exactly where it was situated. can you put me out of my misery please!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aulddub View Post
              You struck a chord with me when you mentioned the Sword, I know I drank there at one time but I can't for the life of me remember exactly where it was situated. can you put me out of my misery please!
              The Sword is now called Anseo which is 18,Lower Camden Street,Dublin 2.

Perhaps you may recall a lane at the side which is called Camden Villas.

Hope this may jolt the memory.If you check Google Maps you'll see the Pub.

Comment

• Thanks Camden, that would make sense as I had a pal in Camden Villas, Pat Lloyd, who was in Synge Street with me. I haven't seen the chap since 1970 or so. I think he had an older brother. Ahern's was the only other pub in the street I drank in at that time. Cotters in Charlotte St and Kennedy's on Harcourt Road were other watering holes I frequented.
                I was never in the Bleeding Horse for some reason. Like yourself I used to go to Caulfields with Larry to watch 'Top of the Pops on BBC every Thursday evening.Happy Days!.

Comment

• Must have come across you at some stage....a gang of us drank in Ahearn's , Cotters & Kennedy's around the same time......
                  The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• It looks like our paths might have crossed at some stage, hard to think it was so long ago now but at least we are still on the right side of the grass.

Comment

• Did you borrow a fiver from me in 1975?

Comment

• I started in the Sword about 1972. Before that I used to go to Dwyer's in Merrion Row, across the road from O'Donoghue's. We'd often go to Jerry's on a weekend night and then to the dances in Leinster or Mount Pleasant.
                        Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
                          Did you borrow a fiver from me in 1975?
                          I was hoping that you had forgotten about that, and it was 1973 and a tenner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
                            I started in the Sword about 1972. Before that I used to go to Dwyer's in Merrion Row, across the road from O'Donoghue's. We'd often go to Jerry's on a weekend night and then to the dances in Leinster or Mount Pleasant.
                            You were very adventurous. We drifted down towards the Stags Head and what was Leonard's in Dame street beside the Olympia. I remember also the Bunch of Grapes in Clanbrassil Street which was very rough and ready but had a great pint.

Comment

• Did you go to the Leinster cricket club ......

Comment

• Originally posted by Aulddub View Post
                                You were very adventurous. We drifted down towards the Stags Head and what was Leonard's in Dame street beside the Olympia. I remember also the Bunch of Grapes in Clanbrassil Street which was very rough and ready but had a great pint.
                                I often rambled in there and wobbled out,,back in the 60's,,,,great Pint
                                I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Working...
                                X